Thursday, November 10, 2011

Making Molds





After 11 months I'm finally starting the process of making copies of my Bubblegum sculpture. My friend Andrew Finlay Stewart (there's a link to his website on the right) introduced me to a friend of his that works in the plastics lab at OCAD. Liam helped me make the mold of my sculpture tonight. It was pretty awesome! First we constructed a box to contain the mold, we used some chemical adhesive that instantly bonds the pieces of plastic together in a water tight seal. Then we mixed the silicone rubber (that cool blue stuff). Then we used a vacuum chamber to remove any air bubbles from the silicone to ensure a perfect cast. Now we just wait for the mold to harden and then we're off to the races!

Thanks Liam, I had a blast with you in the lab today!

No comments: