Monday, August 16, 2010

The Future is Bright


Here's three dudes clearly looking to the future.

I did this while watching Death Proof. There is no connection between the two. I didn't like Death Proof that much the first time I saw it but it's grown on me.

I kind of see it as a commentary on the evolution and decline of American cinema. In the first segment we are treated to very campy and obviously degraded film stock while we follow a group of very confident and independent women as they are stalked by the old and lame but still somehow cool stuntman Mike. Mike even goes so far in this segment as to say that it's unfortunate that CGI has replaced practical effects in most movies. In the first segment Mike is kind of the cool king of old school. In the second segment we are introduced to another group of women who are all extremely extroverted and independent. These women all work in the film industry and talk freely about who's sleeping with who etc. Kind of a sly comment on how celebrity culture has overridden the films themselves. Mike returns and starts off as the king of cool old school but it quickly becomes evident that he is no match for the new school as the girls overpower him.

This is a pretty lame little "essay" and I'm sure I could do better if I tried... but I'm not gonna try right now. Enjoy the picture!

No comments: